Friday, January 25, 2013

Rizza...for Dummies

If you know Assyrians, you know they LOVE rizza (rice).  It goes with everything- shirwa, chicken, salad (which deserves it's own post), or even by itself when it is soft, steamy, and buttery.  There are also tons of dishes that include rice as a main ingredient.  But before I get adventurous and start whipping up some beryani, I need to learn how to make some rice!

The first time I tried to make rice on my own was Sophomore year of college (my first and ONLY time).  My mom always tells me "It's the easiest thing! 1, 2, 3!"  So I didn't think it could be that challenging to make some rice..... WRONG!  I think my first mistake was I didn't buy basmati rice.  I can't even remember what I bought because I try to block that memory out of my life.  I over cooked, over stirred, over analyzed the simple rice.  Basically, I ended up burning the rice so bad that the bottom of the pot had an inch of burnt rice on it- completely black.  Instead of dealing with the nightmare, I threw the pot away and pretended it never happened.

So now that I am back home, it is time to start observing and learning!

First of all, like I mentioned before, you gotta start with some basmati rice.


We used 3 cups, which is enough to feed our family of 5 and then some.  We always have leftovers in this house!

To start, we have to rinse the rinse about 5 of 6 times. My mom explained something about starch.... I don't know I just listen to the chief. 


Add some salt.... 
Once again, we never measure.


Time for some butter! Typically, you add 2 tablespoons of butter for each cup of rice, but we like it extra buttery so we made it 1 stick.

mmmmmmmm.... butter....
No one likes butter like my little sister Melanie... who used to dip her skinny little fingers in the stick of butter and eat it like candy.  Barf.


Halfway cover that baby and let the butta start melting.


As the butter starts melting, and looks like this, it is time for a stir.

Pre stir:


Post stir:


Once all of the liquid is absorbed, it is time for the final stir!

Look at that steeeeaaaam!



ALLLAHHH! And there you have it people!  Perfect, buttery, yummy, tasty rizza.  Throw soime shirwa on there and you have a delicious meal.


Now the real challenge will be me cooking it all by myself- without having to throw a pot away!


Rizza

Ingredients:
3 cups rice
6 tablespoons butter ... Or 1 stick if you like it extra tasty :-)
3 cups water
Some salt

**The rule of thumb is 2 tablespoons butter for each cup of rice.  Cups of water are always equal to the cups of rice.**

Directions:
1. Pour 3 cups of rice into a large pot.  Rinse the rice about 5-6 times until the water is clear.
2.  Add three cups of water, some salt, and a stick of butter to the rice.  Put it on high with the lid halfway on.
3.  Give the rice a stir when the butter is halfway melted (after about 5/6 minutes).  Put the lid back on.
4. Once all of the liquid is absorbed, put it on low and give it a stir.  Cover the pot and put a diffuser underneath the pot.  Leave on low for about 45 minutes.
5. Give the rice one last stir.
6. ENJOY!!


No comments:

Post a Comment